There are many ways you can support our Japan programs benefiting DC students. Here are some ideas – but feel free to suggest any ideas of your own.
Planning and Networking
- Join our Advisory Group: to help with planning, fundraising, networking, and working towards building sustainable and effective Japan programs
- Join our Partner Network: for organizations, corporations, and other institutions
Support for Japanese Plus Program and Students
Here are some ways to directly engage with our students – either one time or long-term. Our Japanese Plus program meets Weds (4:30-6:30 pm) and Sats (10 am–1 pm).
- Language support (for Japanese language speakers): conversation partners, tutors, classroom assistants
- Classroom Speakers/Career Panels/Workshops
- Field Trips/Workplace Visits
- Special events outside the classroom
- Japan Bowl Coach (for people with knowledge of Japanese language, culture, history)
- Chaperones, volunteers to help with field trips and special programs
- Authentic student exchanges and social activities with Japanese or Japanese heritage students – and adults
- Japan and Japanese-related opportunities open to our students as individuals or a group (events, contests, programs, workshops, films, trips, etc.)
- Help with planning a student trip to Japan
- Meeting or event space for various purposes
- IMMEDIATE NEED: Free, metro-accessible classroom for our Saturday meetings (10am-1pm) throughout the school year (we’re still looking!)
- Small gifts and incentives to help motivate students
- Donation of snacks for our regular meetings
- Sponsor an event, workshop, bus ride, restaurant visit
- Website support (help with adding content)
- Social Media (help with a newsletter, twitter, instagram, etc – with the kids and without)
- Graphic Design (help with a brochure, flyers, T-shirts)
If you’re interested in the larger mission and work of our nonprofit organization, Globalize DC, we can use your help! Refer to www.globalizedc.org for further information.
To discuss how you might volunteer, please fill out the Volunteer Interest Form or simply email Sally Schwartz at email@example.com. Thank you.